Equipping Through Fellowship

Tuesday, July 8, 2008


The Barney and Friends kids’ television show has a song that goes “the more we get together, together, together, the more we get together the happier we’ll be. Your friends are my friends and my friends are your friends so the more we get together the happier we’ll be.” I sang that song religiously when I was in grade school with no true sense of understanding to the law of friendship. Today, I can truly appreciate my third grade teachers’ effort to embrace togetherness in her classroom. It really taught me how to foster relationships with others. Now as an adult, I love having get-togethers, whether it’s a group of us going out to dinner or having a blockbuster night in my living room. Gathering together with a group of friends is a great way to learn from one another, meet each others needs, and develop long lasting soul ties that are healthy and purposeful.

As believers in the body of Christ, it is our responsibility to “consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another(Hebrews 10:24-25).” Thinking back to my childhood, I remember how excited I was to sing along with my classmates. No one had to prep me or tell me to get ready to sing. I knew exactly what time Mrs. Holmes would turn on the television set to channel 8 for another rendition of our favorite friendliest purple dinosaur. I was enthusiastically waiting and ready. Today, I must admit it’s a little more challenging to be carefree and zealous about assembling together with others for the sake of friendship. I mean, we are human, we have our hang-ups, we have our doubts, our worries, and sometimes we just don’t want to deal with anyone. Trust me I know! But I thank God for His word that always shines light to my darkness. In Hebrews 10:24-25 we are reminded to consider others even through our hang-ups.

This article is entitled, “Equipping Through Fellowship”. If you look up the word equip, it means to supply and the word fellowship is synonymous to friendship, so no I’m not going into any theology or particular doctrine on the matter, I’m just keeping it as simple as the law of love; love your neighbors as you love yourselves. Supply the need through friendship.

Scripture references: Hebrews 10, Philippians 2

0 comments:

 
Devotionals for Success - Templates para novo blogger